Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 4

I am really doing this :) ... I am down 11 pounds this morning!!! I feel good.

I am getting questions from friends and family so I'm going to respond to them here.

Today's questions...

Where is my calcium coming from?

We need between 1000 and 1200 milligrams of calcium per day. This keeps our bones healthy and strong and prevents our body from vamping the calcium out of our bones weakening our skeletal system...that creates all sorts of issues.

I was told by a few people "I can't live without dairy/cheese". But apparently and surprisingly, we can. According to this chart from Rawlivingfoods.com and the list below it from Care2.com, there are many Vegan sources for calcium.


 

25 Vegan Sources for Calcium

1. Kale (1 cup contains 180 mg)
2. Collard Greens (1 cup contains over 350 mg)
3. Blackstrap Molasses (2 tablespoons contains 400 mg)
4. Tempeh (1 cup contains 215 mg)
5. Turnip Greens (1 cup contains 250 mg)
6. Fortified non-dairy milk (1 cup contains 200-300 mg)
7. Hemp milk (1 cup contains 460 mg)
8. Fortified orange juice (1 cup contains 300 mg)
9. Tahini (2 tablespoons contains 130 mg)
10. Almond butter (2 tablespoons contains 85 mg)
11. Great northern beans (1 cup contains 120 mg)
12. Soybeans (1 cup contains 175 mg)
13. Broccoli (1 cup contains 95 mg)
14. Raw fennel (1 medium bulb contains 115 mg)
15. Blackberries (1 cup contains 40 mg)
16. Black Currants (1 cup contains 62 mg)
17. Oranges (1 orange contains between 50 and 60 mg)
18. Dried apricots (1/2 cup contains 35 mg)
19. Figs (1/2 cup contains 120 mg)
20. Dates (1/2 cup contains 35 mg)
21. Artichoke (1 medium artichoke contains 55 mg)
22. Roasted sesame seeds (1 oz. contains 35 mg)
23. Adzuki beans (1 cup contains 65 mg)
24. Navy beans (1 cup contains 125 mg)
25. Amaranth (1 cup contains 275 mg)


So, yesterday was day 4. So far this hasn't been difficult. I'm sure there will be some trying days but I haven't had to work too hard at this yet.

The physical...I moved the body...I actually got on the elliptical for a few minutes. I felt energetic in the AM but got very tired in the afternoon...not sure what that is about.

The spiritual...I spent some time in prayer yesterday... this goal has to begin to increase

The nutritional...What I ate...

Breakfast (I changed it up a bit)

Coffee (my lifeblood!)
Oatmeal with fresh blueberries... Not bad. No brown sugar, no butter, but I did use a dab (that is an accurate measurement in my home) of soy "butter".

Lunch

I grazed again. I had to go out and pick up my unsold books from the school book sale so throughout the afternoon I ate...

Boiled egg, apple wedges, celery, almonds, banana

*I noticed yesterday afternoon that the flavors of food seemed more pronounced and I enjoyed them more... nice unexpected result.

Dinner

I made chicken thighs for the fam with french cut green beans, brown rice w/ onions and mushrooms and salad

I just didn't eat the chicken and filled my plate 1/2 full with salad. 1/4 with rice and 1/4 with beans. sorry no picture (I was so tired!) but I couldn't finish it! I was actually full yesterday and not hungry much at all.

Snack

Cantaloupe

So, I am aiming for at lest a 50% raw diet but finding that to be a challenge. I do think I am close to 50% raw. I am amazed that some people eat diets that are fully raw. That is hard to do in our society.

I am only drinking about 2-3 bottles of water daily so I need to increase that too.

More tomorrow...


1 comment:

  1. Normal blood pressure, Woot Woot! Don't forget to check out the great vegan recipes out there if you want to tempt your appetite! I'm so proud of you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete